• georgie h

Prototyping Update!!!



Following my research and work over the weekend my first prototypes have been cut. The aim of this iteration was to decide on the method I end up using to make my buildings stand upright. Looking at these prototypes both of these work quite well, with different aspects making them work better in different ways.


The Crosshair Method:


As seen in the close up above is the crosshair method, which involves cutting a small slit in the building as well as a piece to go with it to ensure that it stands upright (demonstrated above). When creating this prototype I did not have the exact measurements of the cardboard and so we found that the slit was slightly too wide for it to fit securely.


Anna suggested that I create supporting structures that will go up and around the buildings as seen on the right of the image. This will help to ensure that the buildings stand upright as it strengthens them. It is also important to remember that the laser cutter can burn the edges slightly and so the measure means need to accommodate for this.


Following this the next steps for prototyping this method would be to run lots of little tests on the crosshair method, with different widths varying between 2.8, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4. Following that test I would be able to continue this throughout all my prototypes and ultimately adjust this accordingly to the material I end up using.


Tabs Method:

The tabs method although worked well, it was less secure in standing up compared to the crosshair method which meant that the buildings were more likely to fall over. It would've been more likely to work with wood, although that is likely what I will end up choosing to use, I worry I will spend too much time trying to get the prototype to work.


I also was aware that I would've had to work out the individual placements of each piece for the overall piece which would've been quite difficult to work out without regular access to the Hatchlab. Using the crosshair method means that I can simply create each individual building and place them accordingly.


Minimal Viable Outcome:

+ By the end of this project I hope to show a piece similar to this.

+ Include a functioning interactive LED Matrix piece.


Additional elements:

+ Include cut outs of people in the scene.

+ Moving crane piece - find out what Arduino product works for this.


Next steps:

+ Create a clear overview of what I expect to complete on a weekly basis.


12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All